Tuesday, November 6, 2012

11/06/2012

I finished reading Inkheart this weekend, and have posted the review here, on my To Judge a Book blahg. I also started reading The Night Circus by Emily Morgenstern. I love it already.

I have also posted my second (!! squeeee !!) short story, Of Books and Daisies. I would appreciate honest feedback (such as...you need to fix this or you spelled this wrong or your grammar sucks...). But if you liked it, I would love to know that, too. Wink, wink.

I read Why TV Lost by Paul Graham. Before reading this essay, I had not realized that television was in it to win it for anything.  However, I can see how the essay makes sense, or rather, how the author would think so. In short, the internet is going to kill tv the way CDs killed cassettes, cell phones killed land lines.  He throws up some strong arguments, such as almost everything on tv can also be found online. However, I think that this is less an extermination as it is an addition to. More like music video killed radio.  Because, as we all know, they didn't really. I still listen to radio.  There are new types of radio, such as Sirius, iHeartRadio, and Pandora.  Radios still come standard in vehicles. Plus, as far as I know, while many people I know no longer have land lines, I don't know a single person who has opted to throw out their 52" Flat Screen HDTV because they can watch all their shows on their 18" computer monitor or their 15" laptop monitor. So, nice try.

Zenith Star by pabruce is the poem I read. It was one of those tale poems. Don't get me wrong, it was not long at all, but it was a poem that told a story rather than an emotion. I liked the poem, with it's rhyme and almost-rhyme and it's imagery. However, I have never been able to identify with story poems like I do with emotion poems. I like my stories in prose, even poetic prose, but prose nonetheless.

I read The Temple by J D C Fellow. I've never read him or heard of him before (or her). I looked this person up on Google and found nothing. The poem was fantastic. It's about a tree. Great imagery. I wish I knew who this person was so I could read more. Any information would be appreciated. Mentioned, too, if you like, in a subsequent blog. I feel like I'm offering a bounty...

I started reading The Model Millionaire by Oscar Wilde. Blasphemy be damned, I have never had a thing for Oscar Wilde, and this certainly didn't change my view any. I was going to stop after the first few sentences, but decided to give him the whole enchilada to redeem himself.
:: Jeopardy theme song while I read the rest ::

You can't see me making a face right now at the computer screen as I write this. I still don't much care for Wilde, no matter how great this story was, or the fact that it had a moral. I can imagine him laughing as he wrote this. However, I cannot deny it ended up being quite a nice story, even though meanness still has a strong voice in this. I know I should choose a more poetic word rather than "meanness," but that's all that came to mind, and I am not going to thesaurus.com it just to make this more flowery.

No comments:

Post a Comment