Wednesday, November 14, 2012

11/14/2012

My deepest apologies for the delayed posts, and the lack of a short story so far for week three. I am currently trying to finish the story I  began on Monday, November 12, 2012, but I got stuck. How...me.

Today, the first thing I read was The Great Power Outage by emoxninjaxgone. What a mouthful of a name, huh? His name is actually Joshua Rogers (according to his author page). I was struck by the imagery and the word choices in this. I thought it was a nice tale about the war between, as he puts it, Mr. Brain and Mr. Heart.
The flow was somewhat jarred in the last third of the poem. I can't quite place my finger on why. But I absolutely adored the fifth stanza. I thought it was most powerful. There are deep emotions in this. Great read.
I have to say, though, I think every mention of something being monochromatic is always going to remind me of Erin Morgenstern's Night Circus.

I also read Song of Poplars by Aldous Huxley, who most of you probably know more for his book Brave New World as opposed to his poetry. I have to say, I was completely impressed with his book in high school, and I am completely impressed over a decade later with his poetry. I may be a bit late on this, but I am glad I ran across it.
I just adore the imagery in this. He gives a life and emotion to the poplar. Also, did I mention I adore the imagery in this?

That's all I did today. I was very busy, but I did get to post a new story, The Many Suicidal Deaths of Daphne Sprague, which I hope you enjoy. It's my first attempt at any kind of horror.

No comments:

Post a Comment