Monday, November 26, 2012

11/26/2012 - Struggling

I am now two weeks behind in my short stories, and I have not posted anything new for a while. We've been extremely busy at work, which is the place I use the internet to post these (I refuse to get internet at home, thank you). I have also been using a little of my time for Christmas and birthday shopping.

I am going to try to get back into the swing of things, though the holiday season is getting pretty crazy for me.

Also, the lack of response to...anything at all that I post is kind of killing my dreams here. But, that's okay, I guess.

So, the poem I read today was Untangle the Tangle by Blackpooljimmy. He wrote this as an entry to a contest with a picture prompt. I thought it was fantastic. It's a writer's piece, which you'll understand when you read it, which I recommend you do.

I also read The Pleiades at Midnight by Johannes Carsten Hauch. I never grew out of my fascination with night and stars and space, so...the title appealed to me. The poem itself is incredible. It links the stars and time and emotion with incredible fluidity. Highly recommended.

The short story I read was An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge by Ambrose Bierce. Bierce has a way of keeping readers reading. What seems to start out as a mundane scene turns out to be intriguing. In this case, the hanging of a man on the bridge.  Quite interesting. In fact, it was turned into an episode of The Twilight Zone.

The essay I read was Of Comets and Meteors by Fred Whipple. I don't even know where to start with this. First of all, this man is the more genius version of Taylor Swift. His accomplishments make the rest of us look lazy and slothful. I was completely impressed by the essay, perhaps to a fault because, as I stated above, I never grew out of a fascination with the darkness beyond. He has made military contributions in the form of inventions, and he has discovered some interesting things in his lifetime. I definitely recommend reading this essay. I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment