Friday, November 9, 2012

11/09/2012

If this is your first time visiting my blog, please read the reason behind it here.

Today, I began with a poem. I read The Boy Made of Paper by Vex Darkly. I rather like his author page... But that is of no consequence. I do love the poem. I, like others before me, kept returning to the fourth stanza in the piece, for it held a stinging amount of emotion, especially to a mother of 3 boys. It was a fantastic, powerful poem with beautiful imagery and masterful metaphors. If you haven't read any of the other poems I have read and blogged about, read this one. Read it anyway.

Okay. So, via this article on the Scientific American website, I linked to FQXi's 2012 Essay Contest. The topic? The Nature of Time. Whew. I could already tell that whichever essay I chose (for it was a contest), that I would probably not understand a word of it.
The thing is, even though it is an essay, the title means a lot to me. I skipped over the titles "Things Happen" and "Time is Local," eventually choosing A Mystic Dream of Four. I was right, I did not understand most of it. I got that there are two theories that are incompatible. Honestly, this is 10 pages long, and I was lost by the second paragraph.
So. What I am going to do is print it out, read it, have my phone beside me to look up strange words, theories, etc., and get back to you on that. Probably not anytime soon.

Another Oscar Wilde story, anyone? No? I didn't think so.

Today, I chose to read Thank You M'am by Langston Hughes. It was a sweet story about a kid who tries to steal the purse off of a woman. I have to say, whoever put the story up on the website, though, did a lousy job of editing it.

The classic poem I read was A Clear Midnight by Walt Whitman. I must admit that Whitman, like Shakespeare, is one of those writers whom the idea of which is greater to me than the writing. I cannot bring myself to enjoy deciphering their language in order to enjoy the writing. Blasphemy, again. My insincere apologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment