Saturday, October 27, 2012

10/27/2012

Today I read Story of an Obstinate Corpse by Elia W. Peattie. I chose it because of the name, being in a Halloween-y mood. It was, indeed, a short story. Shorter than the others I've read to date on this quest for literary enlightenment. I did favor it, though. It was mildly spooky, and I rather liked the photographer. To me, he seemed like an anti-photographer, not being prone to mysteries and such. Highly recommended. Great for those in a Halloween-y mood, such as myself.

I read Show Me an Unseen Dream by cosera. It seemed deeply personal and it had profound imagery in it, but for some reason it felt uncomfortable. I don't quite know how to describe it. It felt...too poetic. Forced.

I also read Candy Man by Roald Dahl. I'm a big fan of his work. I loved his books, and one of my favorites as a child was The BFG. I had a hard time reading this, though. To me, if a poem rhymes, there also has to be meter to it, consistency. This seemed wildly erratic and the change in the middle of the stanzas through me off. I feel like a heretic criticizing Dahl's work, so I am going to stop there...

The essay I read today (do I get a cookie for actually reading one??) was Lower Tropospheric Relative Humidity by meteorologist Jeff Haby. I can tell two things from this website (Haby's Weather Forecasting Hints): First, I am going to love this website because I am quite a fan of weather. Especially inclimate or stormy weather. Second, I am going to have to keep a separate window up for Google to look up all the terms I don't know.

I used to be one of those people who would go to the library and stay there for hours and hours just to read various books on various subjects; not because I had nothing better to do, but because I loved learning about random things. That was when I was in middle school, high school, even after I graduated high school. I think I would have done really well in college. This particular essay was about how relative humidity affects precipitation at various levels. At least I think that's what it was about... I will have to re-read it, click on all the links to other areas explaining the terms I don't know.

But wow!
There are 360 topics! I'll be a weather expert yet! Yeah, buddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment