Tuesday, October 23, 2012

10/23/2012

Short story: The Glass Dog by L. Frank Baum. I am a huge fan of this man. The Wizard of Oz series was incredible (and her shoes were silver, not ruby). So when I ran across his name on this short story website, American Literature, I had to read something. He's got quite a few short stories, as it turns out, including some about Oz, which made me giddy. But I chose this one because it was not about Oz. He seems to have a penchant for glass and clocks. Clocks and glass.
I loved this. How strange it would have the same theme on a variant as the short story I read yesterday. Today, though, it had a less favorable ending, albeit more believable. Magicians, glass-blowers, rich women, and barking glass dogs. What more could I ask for in a story? Truly a piece worth reading. I might start printing some of these stories I read so that I may read them to my children.

The poem I read today was The Elephant Who Exaggerated by Dunkle Deed, who real name is David Martin. He's a poet, children's author and illustrator from the UK. This poem is actually one of his two children's book. The book is more fantastic, as it is illustrated. He's like the new Seuss, in a way.
I love the first two lines because they remind me of my son and my husband. No further comment on that... It's just so fun to read this. You can actually purchase this book and his other book here.

The classic poem I read was Alabaster by Sarojini Naidu. I just adore this poem. The imagery in it is beautiful, showing similes can be just as powerful and effective as metaphors. Incredible feeling in the brevity, and I could almost smell the cinnamon. Fun fact, Ms. Naidu's birthday is celebrated as Women's Day.

The essay I read today (and yes, I read the whole essay today), was Antidote for Melancholy by T. S. Arthur. I have to admit, it was a bit of a switch reading short stories and poems and then moving to an essay. They are vastly variant forms of writing. I had to re-read the first few paragraphs as the switch as well as the language difference (times, no doubt), had me feeling a bit off put.
It was well worth the read, though, and I think that it is something that we all know to be true in our heart of hearts. Simply states, the best way to get over being sad, depressed, forlorn, indeed, melancholic is to go out and make it a point to help others in need. Donating your money is not enough. You never get to see, meet, listen to, or understand the people you are helping. Not that I am in any way, shape or form against donating. I donate a tiny amount of each paycheck to various charities. But the real happiness, the real change, comes in going out and getting your hands dirty cleaning up other people's sorrows.
Truly worth a look, if you have time.


On a side note, or bottom note or parallel dimensional note, you read through this without pause, without hesitation. The truth, though, is that as I wrote this, I laid back a lot in my office chair at my desk at work, wishing I were at home, sleeping, as my youngest child, Vincent Paul, who is 5 months old, was extra fussy last night. I got up a lot, and therefore woke up extra tired. I also had to get up earlier than usual as I took them to daycare at my job this morning. I tried to stay away from the coffee today, as I am, once again, pregnant, but I could not.

No comments:

Post a Comment