Friday, October 26, 2012

10/26/2012

Yes, I am fully aware I did not post an entry yesterday. I was off, so I spent my day chasing my kids and finding a Halloween costume for my oldest son.

Today, I read Death by Scrabble by Charlie Fish. I chose the story because my husband and I play Scrabble. Among a lot of other board games, card games...mind games...
[Pause for effect.]
Anyway. I am not exactly sure what I was expecting from the story by the title, but I should have expected what I got. It was clever. The author did a great job portraying a mundane event in his life that adds to a discomfort and hatred that has to have been building for a very long time between him and his wife. I can't put too much more because I would give away the story and I really suggest reading it. He (the husband) is crazy and he is funny and he is disturbed and the ending is vindictively fantastic.
It did bother me a bit, and I am going to have to pay more attention to the words my husband uses when we play Scrabble.

The poem I read was when the sky cracked by -Ink Artist-. As an aside, and an explanation for my following statement, it is raining here. I love the rain, but it puts me in the mood for dark. So, she was my last resort after starting and failing to read about 30 other poems. I love how she alludes to the seasons in her writing (I've read quite a bit of her work), or at least the time of year. She fills the reader's head with imagery and emotion, and leaves you wondering how she did with so few words. The last stanza was really powerful after having read the rest of the poem. It was....haunting. It felt like...a very hurtful argument between loved ones. But I may have interpreted it wrong.

Today's classic poem was Alone by Edgar Allan Poe. I have always adored this poem. If you could take a minute to absorb it and truly try to understand it instead of getting lost in the rhythm... It's the poem of an outcast. Someone different, who never saw things the same as everyone else. I always identified with this. Especially since he speaks of the tint of light and of storms, which I've always been particularly keen on enjoying as far as their beauty. I'm sure someone will say it's cliché because it's dark and Poe and blah. Well, you know what? Your saying it's cliché is cliché. So there.
[Blows raspberries.]

I am failing the essay portion of this assignment. Today was busy here at work, so that's my main excuse today. The other half would be I spend the time I could have spent reading an essay, I spent searching for one... So...

No comments:

Post a Comment