Friday, December 7, 2012

Fear Realized

One of the hardest things I run into while trying to write a novel (other than losing focus on where I was going with the story), is re-reading and feeling that it is inadequate, that it sounds fake and like a five-year old wrote it.

Well, I got confirmation of that yesterday.

I was cleaning out some papers and ran across a book I had started writing earlier this year. We had travelled to Ohio shortly after I started, and I had thought that I left it up there. I had decided to chuck the idea after I first thought I left it up there since I didn't cherish the idea of trying to re-write the whole first two chapters by memory. Well, it turns out I did not leave it in Ohio and someone read it.

This person, whom I have only seen twice and didn't really meet at all, left me a fantastic note which she titled "feedback" that says not only is this the dumbest book she's ever read, but she could write a better book taking a crap. That's literally what she said.

That was an incredible boost to my writer's confidence. Yes.

Makes me want to keep writing.

Insert sarcastic face here.

No comments:

Post a Comment